- Install and maintain smoke detectors in kitchen, laundry room, garage and near bedrooms.
- Don’t leave unattended candles burning and be sure to extinguish cigarettes.
- Ensure that electrical wiring and extension cords are replaced if frayed or cracked, and not run under rugs, over nails or in high traffic areas.
- Use outlet surge protectors for electronic equipment.
- Keep stairways clear.
- Ensure that all windows can be opened easily.
- Clean dryer venting regularly.
- If you install double-cylinder deadbolts on your doors, keep the keys where all family members can easily reach them in the event of fire.
- Consider installing a central station fire alarm. Florida Family offers significant discounts for homes protected by alarm systems and/or automatic sprinklers.
- Clean range hoods and vents regularly.
- Install individual shut-off valves for gas appliances.
- Install a fire extinguisher.
- Store paint thinners, gasoline in regulation containers away from heat sources.
- Test smoke detector batteries at least once a year, and replace them when they are weak.
Prepare and regularly update a Personal Property Inventory, photographing or videotaping the contents of every room for your records (and don't forget the garage). Keep these records away from the premises or in a safety deposit box.
Florida Family Insurance offers a variety of coverage options to protect you and your family.
Review our Coverage Info
for more details.